Sunday, March 10, 2013

Book Review Supernaturally

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. Today I'm going to be reviewing, Supernaturally by Kiersten White. It is the second book in the Paranormalcy series. Find my review of the first book here.



Title: Supernaturally
Series: Paranormalcy #2
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: July 26, 2011
Genre: YA Paranormal
Purchase: Amazon

At the end of Paranormalcy, Evie finally gets the normal, ordinary life she has always wanted. In Supernaturally, Evie discovers that being ordinary is kind of boring. She starts to spend her time in class daydreaming about vampires, zombies and other supernatural creatures attacking the class. However, her daydreaming about getting the bad supernaturals is about to come true when an opportunity to work again for International Paranormal Containment Agency comes up. Desperate to break the boredom she agrees.

Working for the IPCA does not turn out like Evie hoped when one mission after another goes wrong. Did Evie make the right choice in going back to the IPCA? Why are all of the paranormals looking at Evie weird? And what is she going to do now that her faerie ex-boyfriend Reth has found her?

I have to say this series and especially Evie has grown on me. Both the first book and this one were very enjoyable, quick reads. In Supernaturally, Evie is finding out that being "normal" is nothing like Easton Heights and can be a little boring, especially since Lend is off at college. Evie spends her time at school, doing homework in an effort to get into Lend's college, and working at the diner to make some money. Shortly into the book, Evie is found by Raquel and given an offer to work as a contract employee for the IPCA. Lend is against this idea, but she agrees to work with them anyways to add some excitement back into her life. She does have two conditions: "One: I am not Level Seven or anything in any system. I am not IPCA. If I don't like a mission, I  don't do it. It's totally my call." Second: "I want my credit card back." Evie also does not want to work with Faeries anymore. This problem is solved with new character, Jack. Jack is a human with the unique ability to travel on the faerie paths from place to place. He doesn't really like to get into how he is able to do that. Read the book and you will find out ;)

I have to say I like Jack. He is a bit mischievous and tends to get into trouble. I can easily picture him doing the things described in the book and Evie trying to keep him out of trouble. She wants to keep Jack and her IPCA life separate from her normal life. 

I know in some cases when there is a trilogy or series of books, the second book just is not as good as the first. I do not think that at all about this series. I like this book just as much as the first one, if not more. I like where the series is going. There is an extra mystery in this novel that really isn't addressed and I'm guessing that's what the third book or at least what part of the third book will be about. 

I'm definitely looking forward to reading more books by Kiersten White. 

My Rating: 
Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2)

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Nice review :)
    I've read this book not so long ago, and now I'm stuck at third book of this series. I think Supernaturally was great read, but it isn't as dynamic as the first book. :)
    http://mariasbookshelf.blogspot.sk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! I too felt like the third book dragged a little. I felt like Evie lost a little of her spunk or something. One of the reasons I haven't gotten around to writing a review for it yet (that and the general craziness that is life).

      Delete