Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Book Review: Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White is the first book in the Paranormalcy series.


In the book you follow Evie. Evie thinks of herself as a normal, human, teenage girl even though she works for, and is the ward of, the International Paranormal Containment Agency (IPCA) and is the only person who can see through paranormal's glamours. She has a mermaid for a best friend, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, and she thinks she might be falling for a shape-shifter. 

Evie has been a ward of the IPCA ever since she was eight. Before that she was bounced around foster care and couldn't remember her parents. 

When the book starts we follow Evie on a standard bag and tag of a vampire. After the paranormal is tagged a Faerie transports Evie back to the Center. As the book progresses, Evie thinks her ex-boyfriend, Remy is trying to harm her and and someone or something is killing off the paranormals without leaving a mark.

I have to say I found this book to be a very easy read and I really liked it. The story moves along at a nice pace. I found myself quickly progressing through the novel whenever I had a spare moment and completed the book in a couple of days. 

I found myself really liking Evie and her perspective. I think the author does a good job of representing a teenage girl who tries to kid herself into thinking she is absolutely normal, but is not. I like the show she is always watching and how excited she gets over normal teenage things, like a locker. I like how the author describes what Evie is seeing through each of the glamours, how each of the paranormals really look. Vampires are NOT pretty or glittery.

It's different from other YA books I've read. The closest thing I can compare it to is an adult novel, First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones, but in that book the main character is an adult and a grim reaper and a little more graphic in the love scene department. But if you like Paranormalcy and think you might like a more adult book, I think you might like First Grave on the Right. 
My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment