Saturday, February 2, 2013

Book Review: Tiger's Curse

While I have an earlier edition hardcover of Tiger's Curse by Collen Houck, I ended up listening to the audio book version. I really liked the performers reading this one. They really helped to suck me into the story.




I must admit, I picked this one up because because of the good reviews and the story line seemed interesting. At the same time I don't normally read books that take place in India.

The story starts off a little slow. You follow Kelsey as she gets a short couple week job with the circus to help out with cleaning, ticket sales, and taking care of a tiger named Ren. Kelsey finds herself strangely drawn to the tiger. Over her short time with the circus she ends up spending more and more time with the tiger. One day a man shows up and buys Ren, the tiger. 

Kelsey ends up getting offered a job to accompany Ren on his journey to a sanctuary in India. Once in India, Ren ends up running off into the Jungle. Kelsey follows him in an effort to get him back. However, she ends up discovering that Ren is really a prince who was cursed over 300 years ago to be a tiger. Since Kelsey came along Ren was finally able to turn into a man again, but only for a very short period of time each day. Ren tells Kelsey, he believes she is the one who can break the curse. Kelsey agrees and the pair go on an adventure to see if they can.

I applaud Colleen Houck for her creativity in coming up with this story. It's not a storyline I've heard before. I liked the adventure they had searching for the things needed to break the curse. 

At the same time, Kelsey drove me bonkers with her whole *SPOILER ALERT* OMG I can't get into a relationship with Ren, because even though we are totally into each other, it's just going to end in heartbreak, so I'm not even going to try. *END SPOILER ALERT* I wanted to smack her upside the head so bad. I also felt like it was something the author was trying to do to stretch out the story a little. 

Colleen Houck provides great visualization in her writing. I felt like I was there with the characters the whole time, hence the wanting to smack Kelsey. 

Overall, I think is a great start to a series and I'm looking forward to reading more of it. 

Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment