Friday, February 15, 2013

Book Review: Grave Mercy

I received Grave Mercy for free from Nicki Haylon on behalf of Robin LaFevers on Libboo. This is no way influences my review of this book, other than I'm happy I got a book I wanted to read anyways for free :) Bonus, if you are reading this the day I originally posted, you can get the book for $1.99 on Amazon as it is a Kindle Daily Deal (click below).




Follow fourteen-year old Ismae as she escapes from an abusive father and an even worse, but very short lived arranged marriage. Unknown to Ismae, she was being watched all her life. On the night of her arranged marriage she is rescued. The confused girl is brought to the convent St. Mortain. Here is is given a test and the option to train to serve Death Himself as an assassin. Ismae accepts the challenge and we fast forward over three years of training. 

Now seventeen, barely out of training, and not yet a full initiate into the order, Ismae finds herself in the high court of Brittany, where she discovers she is woefully unprepared for the task at hand. We follow her as she tries to navigate through the politics of court to complete her assignment. Who is the French Spy? Can they keep the duchess alive until she can be crowned? Can she trust Duval?

My thoughts: 
I found myself liking this book more and more as I read it. In fact, I've already decided to give it a 1/2 star bump from my initial rating thoughts. I don't read a lot of books that take place in the 13th century, but I certainly liked this one. I liked the added paranormal part to the story, how they are given gifts from Death Himself. There is action, mystery, love, adventure...The characters feel fairly well rounded to me. LaFevers does a pretty good job at descriptions too. It's not very hard to get sucked into the story. If you are anything like me, you will find yourself reading, most, if not all, of the book in a day, possibly even in one sitting. 

LaFevers does a good job of starting off Ismae as ignorant in some ways. As you go through the book, you feel like the character has a very natural progression in the ways that she grows and the things that she learns.

I like the relationship between Ismae and Duval. There are definitely some amusing moments there. I also really like the side character Beast. I'm not sure what else to say as I don't want to tell you the whole story, but let's just say it's a really good book and I think you should read it.

If you like this book, you might also like, The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns #1) by Rae Carson as well as Waterfall (River of Time #1) by Lisa Tawn Bergren.

My Rating: 



No comments:

Post a Comment