Friday, February 15, 2013

Book Review: Boundless

Boundless is the third, and final, book in Cynthia Hand's Unearthly trilogy.



You continue to follow Clara, who over the past few years/books, has discovered she is a very special part-angel, fell in love, been told she is destined be with someone else (not her love), and lost someone close to her. It's been a pretty rough few years. 

In the third book, Clara is trying to forget Tucker as she, Christian,  and Angela all head off to Stanford. From Angela'a visions, they know that is where Angela's purpose takes place. However, once there Clara realizes someone is following her and she keeps having her own dark vision (literally, is in a dark place and is very scared). What are the Black Wings up to? And can Clara ever really be safe and live a normal life?

My thoughts: I have to say I was really looking forward to reading this one. I really liked the other two books in the series. 

In this book, I like how Clara is trying to live as normal of a life as possible with her friends, but then that creepy bird starts following her around, she starts having scary visions, and her friend Angela starts acting strangely. I liked Clara's vision in this book the best or at least the description of it that Cynthia Hand provides. I can see where she has grown as a writer over the series. The mystery in this book is really good. I liked trying to figure out what was going on and what the visions were really all about. 

When I started with this series, I was all about Team Tucker, but as time went on I moved over to Team Christian. In this book I was hoping to get a little more Team Christian as Clara broke up with Tucker, partly in an effort to keep him safe, but broke up nonetheless. And they do try in this book. 

I think overall, I liked how this series ended, but I don't truly feel like all of the characters got a proper wrap up. The ending left me feeling happy and not happy at the same time. 

***SPOILER ALERT*** Some of my spoilery thoughts on the book. Don't read, if you don't want to know.

  • Does anyone else like Cynthia Hand's version of hell? I found it to be pretty cool. I like how it was just below our world or on another plane of the world. Everything dull, gray, black & white, and no one really knew they were in hell. Very intriguing.
  • I also found how Clara kept popping up in Tuck's barn very amusing.
  • I like how we got a little bit more of Clara's Dad and how he helped train her and Christian. Glory sword? Cool.
  • I don't really get Clara's brother Jeffery, I almost felt like his parts in the book because he had to be, because it would have been just weird for the author to completely drop him out. I felt like his part was a little stretched. 
  • Christian, Christian, Christian, as part of Team Christian, can I just say I'm frustrated. Dang mind reading and Tuck popping up whenever there were about to kiss. Dammit Christian, you just needed to kiss her until she forgot about him. Oh, and Christian's ending! Ugh! Made me almost want to chuck the book against the wall. I guess I have some consolation in the fact that Tucker will eventually die and then there is the possibility, but really? So sad.
***END SPOILER ALERT***


This was the second series I picked up with Angels in it, the first being Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (a really good series). I think each has it's own pluses and I really liked both of them. So, if you read Hush, Hush, you might like this series, or if you liked this series, you might like Hush, Hush. Other books you might like: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon and Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater 

My Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment