Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Book Review: City of Glass

The City of Glass by Cassandra Clare is the third book in The Mortal Instrument Series. I have previously read the first two books in the series. I recommend reading them before reading this.


 
In the third installment, you follow Clary as she travels to the City of Glass searching for a cure to her mother's sickness. Also in this book, her relationship with Jace becomes strained as he no longer wants her around and her best friend Simon is thrown in prison by Shadowhunters who are suspicious of his ability to walk in the sun. You follow as we meet new characters and find out more about Clary and Jace's family. 

At the same time, Valentine is working on building an army to destroy the City of Glass. Protecting the city and defeating Valentine all comes down to Shadowhunters and Downworlders working together, but can they?

While I liked this book, I didn't like it as much as the other ones in the series that I've read. It doesn't mean I won't read anymore of the series, I fully intend to read more books in the series, I just didn't care of this one as much. Maybe it's because I had the "big" reveals in this book figured out well before they where officially reviewed (I don't want to spoil them for you). I still enjoyed the ride getting there. It's possible you might not realize the "big" reveals way before they happened like me. I am the type of person that almost always figures out the twist in movies, etc... way before it happens. 

I did listen to the audio version of this book. I want to say I felt the performer did a pretty good job of reading the book. I have heard better and worse. 

I'm curious to see where this series is heading as the third book concludes the original trilogy Cassandra Clare set out to write. 

My Rating: 

1 comment:

  1. I agree. The big twists were easy to see ahead for me aswell. It was a good read by Cassandra but the previous books in the series were defiantly more captivating.

    I think this book would have still made a good conclusion to the series. The others are good but it seems dragged out at times and plus a couple I adore expires in the latest book that's came out (I won't say more. Don't want to spoil) and I could have gone without that. Still they are all good in their own way and worth the read if you enjoyed the others. Things defiantly get crazier too, I can say that.

    Anyway great review!

    ReplyDelete