Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Book Review: Obsidian

Good Afternoon! Today I'll be reviewing Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout. 


Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux #1
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Original Publication Date: May 8, 2012
Format Read: kindle
Genre: YA Science Fiction, YA Paranormal, YA Aliens
Purchase: Amazon
Find on Goodreads


Description from the publisher:
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

Obsidian reminded me of a cross between Roswell and something else (it's right there, I just can't think of it). So much so I might have to go back and watch Roswell again or try reading the books. Forbidden Alien Love Romance? Yes, please. 

The above description pretty much describes the book, so I won't go into that. 

The entire book is from Katy point of view. On the Kindle edition, I did get some bonus parts from Daemon's point of view and a couple of chapters from the next book in the series. I think the book could have been even better with some chapters being from Daemon's point of view. He is so mean to Katy, but yet she keeps coming back for more. It definitely borders on being abusive. Not the type of relationship I would want my daughter being in. The extras in the back explain Daemon's thoughts and why he acts the way he does. It makes him feel more "human" instead of being a jerk all the time. 

The whole will they won't they sexual tension has been done many times before and it is done in this book too. I still enjoyed the ride while waiting to find out. 

I liked the type of aliens they were and how when they use their powers around a human it marks them. The bigger the event the bigger the mark. To other aliens it would look like the person is glowing. 

I liked the fight scene towards the end, but it really reminded me of something. I can't quite remember and it's going to bug me until I do, but there you have it. 

I like how Katy isn't always the helpless damsel in distress. She holds her own in the book, sometimes. 

Overall, I felt like this is a nice quick read. I will be checking out more books in the series. 

Anyways, if you liked this book maybe check out the Roswell TV show (it can be streamed online for free via Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime) or The Outsider (Roswell High #1) by  (I know I might now).

My Rating: 

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I am currently reading this book and I am enjoying it :) I have nominated you for the Liebster Award which you can check out here: http://abookparadise.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/liebster-award-no3.html Much Love, Tanya x

    ReplyDelete