Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Novella Review: Dark Child: Episode Three

Good evening everyone! Today I'll be reviewing Dark Child: Episode Three by Adina West. It is the third book in the Dark Child series.  I received a copy of this book for free in return for my honest review, through the Never Too Old For Y.A. Books Group on Goodreads. However, I received a copy of the book directly from the author's publisher. This in no way effects my final review of this book. 

Title: Dark Child: Episode Three
Author: Adina West
Series: Dark Child #3
Publisher: Momentum Books
Original Publication Date: April 1, 2013
Format Read: kindle
Genre: YA Paranormal
Purchase: Amazon

Description from the publisher:
Dead? Kat clenched her fists, her stomach a writhing tangle of knots. Her pulse thundered in her ears.
Had this all been an elaborate ruse to trap her? The platelet study; the offer to come and work at the Hema Castus Research Institute; the special attention from Director Norris … Surely they’d have had no way of knowing who she was. Still, if the Directorate controlled Hema Castus, and the Directorate wanted her imprisoned, even dead, everything took on a much more sinister light. And anyway, why did the Directorate want her dead?

Kat has always known she’s special. Different. But finding out why is still a shock, especially when she discovers the malevolent Directorate, a clandestine organization of untold power, have put a price on her head.

Forced into hiding in the remote White Mountains, Kat’s life is suddenly in the hands of the wild and dangerous unalil. But trusting her new protectors isn’t easy, since they seem almost as terrifying as the killers who pursue her . . .

This is a novella-length episode of Dark Child. This is part three of five.

This novella picks up where the last one left off. Kat is still processing the fact that Char has told her she is not human. So, we finally get into the nitty gritty with this episode a bit with Kat finally no longer being clueless about the world around her. In this episode Kat also has to flee to New York to get away from those that are hunting her. Things definitely are getting more intense too. 

Like with the first two episodes as time goes on our list of characters continues to grow. My favorite of the new characters we meet is Akilina. She is a very old Dark Child, who can craft metal into amulets with protective runes specific to each person after reading them. 

Overall, I liked this episode the same as I liked the first two. I have come to two conclusions at this point though, 1) I would just go ahead and by the complete Omnibus edition and skip buying the individual episodes and 2) At this point I'm not sure how everything is going to get resolved in two more episodes. 

I feel I should also comment that according to the publisher, this series of episodes would be great for fans of The Mortal Instruments. I'm going to have to say I don't necessarily agree with that assumption. Yes, it is an urban fantasy series and yes there are vampires or night children, but I feel that is a completely different world with a completely different writing style. I feel a more accurate statement would to just say that this series would be great for urban fantasy or paranormal readers and call it good at that. 

So, if you are a fan of urban fantasy or paranormal books, I would recommend maybe giving this series a try, but I would recommend just getting the omnibus edition or picking up all five episodes at one time. I look forward to seeing what the next two episodes bring. Happy Reading!

My Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment