Monday, May 27, 2013

Book Review: Unraveling

I want to thank all of the men and women, who have fought and died to make sure our country is still free. Happy Memorial Day! 

Today I will be reviewing BOTH books in the Unraveling duology, as well as the short novella that goes along with them.

I was really looking forward to reading Unraveling and I was not disappointed.

Title: Unraveling
Series: Unraveling #1
Original Publication Date: April 24, 2012
Format Read: kindle
Purchase: Amazon


Description from the publisher:
Like The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Elizabeth Norris’s Unraveling blends realistic coming-of-age issues with a gripping science fiction world.

Unraveling’s heroine, sixteen-year-old Janelle Tenner, is used to having a lot of responsibility. She balances working as a lifeguard in San Diego with an intense academic schedule. Janelle’s mother is bipolar, and her dad is a workaholic FBI agent, which means Janelle also has to look out for her younger brother, Jared.

And that was before she died…and is brought back to life by Ben Michaels, a mysterious, alluring loner from her high school. When she discovers a strange clock that seems to be counting down to the earth’s destruction, Janelle learns she has twenty-four days to figure out how to stop the clock and save the planet.

I really liked this book. I found the ideas to be very interesting. The very basic concept made me reminisce about watching Sliders years ago (I know this dates me). I found the story-line to be a very believable science fiction story. It's possible, if you are a hardcore science nerd, you might find some fault, but I was easily able to go along with the story.

One of the things I found most interesting about this novel is the point of view. You follow Janelle's point of view. Janelle does not have any special powers. She is just a girl who was brought back to life by Ben. Ben is the one with a special power or ability. Normally with these types of books you follow the person with the special ability's point of view. That is not the case here. However, it works. You get to discover what is happening at the same time that Janelle does. 

I not only liked Janelle, I liked all of the main characters in the book. They are all very realistic characters, people that could very easily exist in real life just a few doors down from you. I eagerly anticipate the further novels in this series. 

If you liked Unraveling there is a pretty good chance you will also like Undone: An Unraveling Novella and Unbreakable, the next books in the series currently available. You might also like The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (4 Stars) or Slide by Jill Hathaway (3 Stars).

My Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment