Friday, May 3, 2013

Book Review: Lucid

I don't know about you, but that week went by quickly. Before I head off to my grandfather's 80th birthday party this weekend, I'll be reviewing, Lucid, the second book in the Brightest Kind of Darkness series. I received a copy of this book for free in return for my honest review, through the Never Too Old For Y.A. Books Group on Goodreads. However, I received the actual kindle copy direct from the author.

Title: Lucid
Author: P.T. Michelle
Publisher: Patrice Michelle
Original Publication Date: July 7, 2012
Format Read: kindle
Genre: YA Paranormal
Purchase: Amazon


Description from Goodreads:
Once Nara combines her prophetic ability with Ethan’s power to outsmart Fate at his own deadly cat-and-mouse game, she’s more determined than ever to help Ethan learn the meaning behind the raven sword tattoo that suddenly appeared on his back after their confrontation with Fate.

During her quest to uncover the tattoo’s secrets, Nara enlists the help of some new friends and discovers her own surprising connection to Ethan

While Nara digs deeper into the mystery, her desire for answers leads her down a dangerous path full of powerful and ruthless enemies. Swept into an age-old battle, Nara quickly learns that keeping one’s enemies close can be a necessary evil, making an intangible enemy she can control far more preferable to the human enemies she can’t.

I started reading this book almost immediately after finishing up the first book of this series. In Lucid Ethan is away for most of the book trying to mend things with his parents. Nara and Ethan's relationship is reduced to phone calls and text messages. In an effort to stay close to Ethan, Nara sets out to discover the meaning behind Ethan's tattoo.

Nara gets some help from a new friend, Drystan from Wales. I know some people might say, "why, oh why, did the author take Ethan out of a lot of the story and add Drystan," and I say, "because it works and I liked his character." Who else would help save Nara when she needs it while Ethan is away? Who knew researching ravens could be dangerous?

Not only do I like Drystan, I also like the strange little raven Nara named Patches that visits Nara everyday and tries to warn her of danger. 

This book is not only about Nara's search to find out more about the raven tattoo, but she is also trying to search for more information on her Dad that walked out on her family years ago. During this time her friends are getting ready for the big school dance and they all insist Nara attend even though Ethan won't be able to make it. 

Everything in this book fits together nicely. With Nara researching the raven tattoo as the main focus of this book, it has a little bit slower, but rhythmic pace that builds up to the end. And wow what an ending! I immediately wanted to see if I could get my hands on the third book after finishing this one, but it doesn't come out until the end of this month. I'm really excited to see what happens next in this series.  

I liked this book a little bit better than the first book and would definitely recommend it. I would even be more than willing to pay $2.99 (the currently Amazon price as of this posting) to buy the kindle book on my own. 

My Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment