Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Book Review: Sapphire Blue

I just fell in love with Ruby Red when I read it, so I knew I needed to read Sapphire Blue to see where the story was headed. I did and here is what I thought.


Title: Sapphire Blue
Author: Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (translator)
Original Publication Date: December 1, 2009 (by Henry Holt and Company October 30, 2012)
Format Read: hardcover
Purchase: Amazon


Description from Goodreads:
Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.

At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.

Well, after reading the first book I already decided that I need to learn German, so I can actually read the last book in this series (just kidding, that would take me longer than the wait for the third book). After reading the second book, I still feel that way. I can't believe I have to wait until October 8th for the English translation of the third book, Emerald Green. It took me less than 24 hours (counting sleep, housework, etc...) to get through this book. It is a fairly fast-paced, quick read (or maybe that was just me wanting to know what was going to happen next). Sapphire Blue also contains the same little useful tidbits of information between chapters. I enjoyed them in the first book and continued to enjoy them here.

This book seems to fit very nicely in the middle of the trilogy (I haven't read the third, so I can't tell you will 100% certainty). You really need to read the first book before diving into this one, as it continues to build on the mystery from the first book. In this book we still have not gotten to the part where Gwen sees herself (in the first book). Plus more mysteries have been added in and Gwen is sent on more official missions back in the past. I just love the world Kerstin Gier has created. I also really like Xemerius that has been added into the story, I can see him continuing to be useful in the third book. You also find out a little bit more about Lucy and Paul and what they are up to. Not everything is answered though. 

I once again completely enjoyed my time escaping into Kerstin Gier's world. I can't wait to find out where this little gem of a series is heading and look forward to getting my hands on the final book later this year. If you liked the first book in the series you will like this one too!

My Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment