Monday, April 22, 2013

Book Review: Guardians of Stone

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. Today I'll be reviewing Guardians of Stone by Anita Clenney. 


Title: Guardians of Stone
Author: Anita Clenney
Publisher:  Montlake Romance
Original Publication Date: December 4, 2012
Format Read: kindle
Purchase: Amazon


Description from Amazon:
In the tradition of Indiana Jones, a feisty heroine with a sixth sense, and two sexy heroes, a dark, reclusive billionaire and a mercenary bodyguard are on a hunt for four powerful relics that could change their lives…and the course of history. But relics aren't Kendall’s only quest. Eventually, she’ll have to choose between her sexy boss and her badass bodyguard.

Kendall Morgan is a human bloodhound. Spending her childhood hunting relics with her ambitious archaeologist father, she knew the two of them shared a sixth sense for the history and location of objects—sometimes even people. What she didn't know was that their paranormal gift could ultimately be their undoing.


After the tragic plane crash that killed her father as well as her childhood best friend, Kendall dedicated her life to finding and protecting relics. When mysterious, sexy billionaire Nathan Larraby hires her for his latest expedition—the search for four powerful relics—she’s thrown into a world of high-octane danger. He sends brooding mercenary Jake Stone to watch Kendall’s back, but he may have created danger of a different kind.


As the team chases down clues, a man called the Reaper makes a play for the artifacts and will stop at nothing to put them to his own sinister use. What’s worse is that Nathan hasn't told the whole story, and the dark secrets he’s keeping could cost them the mission…and their lives.

Our heroine is touted as being a paranormal female Indiana Jones.  I can see where they get that idea. She is a relic hunter, she has a special paranormal gift, and she is female. But is the story groundbreaking? Not in my opinion. The story still is a pretty fast-paced, interesting read. It took me less than 24 hours, counting sleeping and breaks to do other things, to read the entire book and I did enjoy it. 

The above description, pretty much explains the storyline of the book, so I won't go into that. I will just say that I liked the storyline and thought it read pretty good. I could see this story easily being made into a movie. I also liked all of the good guys and could see where there is room for further development for them in future books. I also enjoyed the tension between Jake and Kendall. It's definitely one of those boy hates girl (even though he thinks she's hot), then boy decides he love (or at least lusts after girl). Jake doesn't like the fact that he's assigned to guard Kendall at all and it doesn't help that Kendall keeps sneaking away from him (she is use to hunting treasures on her own) or getting into trouble anyways. Then of course there is Nathan who is not telling his treasure hunting team the whole story. It all leads to confusion and who can you trust? Who are the real bad guys?

I also think having Nathan a super rich backer (with an endless supply of money and toys) certainly helped the author with her story. Because she wrote him that way, it made it real easy to give her heroes all the cars, money for hotels, as well as any gear they could possibly need. Oh, and the ability to easily track them down and find out where they are at, at any given moment. For the most part, I didn't have problem with it, I just think was almost a crutch that prevented the author for coming up with more creative and interesting ways to progress the story. 

Overall, I liked the story, but it didn't really impress me. I would recommend it to friends as a nice, quick, easy adventure read. I do plan on checking out at least one more book in the series too, when it finally comes out. 

My Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment